Scholar Application Requirements
Take Stock in Children of Broward Scholar recruitment is limited to a select number of Broward County public students each year, and varies from year-to-year. Applications are due July 31st for Fall Enrollment and January 31st for Spring Enrollment. Click here for a printable version of the application. Applicants must meet all criteria listed below and only complete applications will be considered for selection. Applications can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or mailed to Take Stock in Children of Broward, Broward College Miramar Town Center, 2050 Civic Center Place, Room 213, Miramar, FL 33025. Contact TSiC of Broward for additional information on this school year's recruitment.
To be considered, applicants must meet ALL OF the following criteria
- Students must be in grades 6th-9th.
- Grades: Must have maintained a “C” or better in all classes within the past year.
- Attendance: No more than eight (8) unexcused absences per semester within the past year.
- Behavior: No more than one (1) in-school suspension per quarter and no (0) out-of-school suspensions within the past year.
- Income eligibility: Must qualify financially for free and/or reduced lunch based upon USDA income eligibility guidelines: Please Click here for the 2017-2018 income eligibility requirements.
- Citizenship: Must be either a United States citizen or a resident alien with permanent social security number and NOT a temporary ID.
- School Enrollment: Must be enrolled in a Florida public school and be on track to receive a standard high school diploma.
The following documents must be submitted in order to be considered for the Take Stock in Children of Broward County program:
- Application with all forms completed and signed: Click here for a printable version of the application.
- Signed Teacher Recommendation Form.
- A copy of the student’s social security card (needed for scholarship assignment with Florida Prepaid).
- Most recent Federal Income Tax filed; the cover of Form 1040, where gross and net income are listed for all wage earners in the home (to determine free/reduced lunch eligibility). Form 1040 must list the student applicant as a dependent.
SCHOLAR SELECTIONS PROCESS
- Eligible students submit completed application by the deadline stated on the application. ONLY FULLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED WITH ALL THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WILL BE CONSIDERED.
- Applications can be scanned and emailed to email@example.com. Or mailed to Take Stock in Children of Broward, Broward College Miramar Town Center, 2050 Civic Center Place, Room 213, Miramar, FL 33025
- Applications that meet qualifications are sent to a Selection Committee, comprised of community advocates and leaders, for review and selection.
- Applicants who are not selected for the program will receive a notification letter in the mail.
- Selected “Scholars” will be sent an acceptance letter with a date for the mandatory New Student Orientation.
- Selected “Scholars” and their legal guardians attend mandatory New Student Orientation to review all the details of the program and then both parties, along with TSiC, sign the contract to finalize the application and acceptance process.