Guidelines and Responsibilities
All applicants interested in mentoring must:
- Be 18 years old or older.
- Complete and submit the initial Youth Mentoring Application and all annual renewal forms.
- Attend a mandatory training session before mentoring begins.
- Pass a Level 2 Security Clearance with the School Board of Broward County.
A Mentor’s Responsibilities
A mentor is oftentimes the key to success for a student. In order to support and guide a student towards success, a Take Stock in Children mentor must:
- Meet with a student once per week for at least 30 minutes at the school site.
- Help a student build a foundation of basic values.
- Challenge a student to take responsibility for his or her actions.
- Help a student set (and reach) his or her goals.
- Improve a student’s self-esteem.
- Communicate his or her own mentoring needs to our Manager of Community Engagement and Mentor Programming.
- Communicate his or her student’s needs to TSIC Staff or school's TSIC liaison.
- Consistently log your mentor sessions. CLICK HERE TO ACCESS LOG FORM
- Track the sessions you have completed year round. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
There are many benefits to mentoring as well. Please review the mentoring benefits page for a list of examples, or contact our Community Outreach and Mentor Coordinator via e-mail at BrowardMentor@tsic.org or via phone at (754) 600-9756 for more info.